08 November, 2008

ODE TO THE JACKSONVILLE BRT PLAN

"There's a Hooker being cozy with a Jacksonville cop."

"Stepping off this dirty bus first time I understood..."


Imagine if we scrap our rail plans for the "super bus" BRT system. The newspaper is already running "hit" pieces on rail failures, lack of profit and imagined expenses. The CD player just ran the old piece "Greyhound" by the Late Great Harry Chapin, (who by the way was killed on a freeway when his car was crushed by a large over the road vehicle). So with apology's to Harry, here's my take on BRT as the sole system in the 3RD largest City in the East.
"I find a seat
And we move out in the lights."


"Everybody's looking half alive."
It's midnight at the bus stop
And I drag myself in line.
Travellin' light, I got to go
But the bus won't be on time.
Everybody's looking half alive.
Later on the bus arrives.

Got my prepaid ticket
I find a seat
And we move out in the lights.
Come on Driver, where's the heat?
It's cold this Jacksonville night.
I keep telling to myself that I don't care.
It's now tomorrow, I'll soon be there.

Using this BRT, It's a dog of a way to get around.
Riding around on BRT.
It's a dog gone easy way to get you down.
Tired of watching this City go by
So I look across the aisle.
The window's frosted, I can't see
But the girl returns my smile.
She reminds me of someone waiting at my home.
So I doze. So it goes.

I'm wrinkled on my seat at the transfer stop.
There's a Hooker being cozy with a Jacksonville cop.
My coffee's tasting tired.
My eyes roll over dead.
They should have built the rail, and got the gas out of our heads.
Oh, to be at home in bed.

You got me driving.
I'm on your JTA bus and you're driving.
But there's nothing new about JTA.
Nothing new about feeling grey.
Nothing new about putting off
Or putting myself on.

Looking for tomorrow is the way the commuter survives
I should have realized by now that all my life's a ride.
It's time to find some happy times and make myself some friends
I know there ain't no rainbows waiting when this journey ends.

Stepping off this dirty bus first time I understood
There's got to be an alternative that's good
That's a thought for keeping if I could.
There's got to be an alternative that's good.



No comments:

Post a Comment


TAKE A FREE TOUR OF THE JACKSONVILLE SKYWAY

The arguments rage to this date, "Should have never been built," "waste of taxpayer money," "Doesn't go anywhere," "Nobody rides it..." etc. Bottom line is we have it, and it is finally showing signs of life. Simple extensions to the Stadium, San Marco, and the area of Blue Cross in North Riverside would turn this little train around. Addition of Park and Ride garages and multimodal transit terminals at the end points would bring on the crowds. The video must have been shot on a Sunday Morning, as downtown is certainly as packed with life as any other major City on weekdays. Jacksonville is a city of Bikes, joggers, walkers, buses and cars, one almost wonders how the photographer managed to find this quiet moment.


Support the Skyway? Join the Monorail Society Today!

Subscribe to monorailsociety
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

WELCOME ABOARD

Sign by Danasoft - For Backgrounds and Layouts